Friday, March 19, 2010

Century Training - Week 1; Day 5

Day: 5
Ride: Pace
Scheduled Mileage: 10
Actual Mileage: 12.15
Average Speed: 12 mph*
Max Speed: 23.9 mph
*Includes city street speed average

Random Notes to Self:
  • Found my new favorite spot in Central Park.
  • Need to start carrying my digital camera in one of the back pockets of my cycling jacket.

I was in the office a little later than usual for a Friday evening so I didn't get home to grab Maddy and head out on our bike ride until well after 7 o'clock. Encouraged by the pleasant ride I had in Central Park after dark earlier this week, I headed out feeling confident and ready to ride despite the long evening shadows.

And I discovered that the most beautiful view of the Manhattan nighttime skyline is over Central Park South from East Drive along the Lake. I was suddenly jealous of the people who are fortunate enough to live on Central Park West between West 72nd and 79th Streets. Not that residential jealousy is anything new for me; I've had to deal with mild bouts of real estate envy since I moved to New York City.

While stopping to take a photo on my second lap, I also found another favorite spot in the park where there is a small cabana on the Lake below East Drive. One of my other top favorites is the Bow Bridge, which is also nearby. Google images and you'll see why it's one of the city's most popular attractions.

My cell phone photo doesn't do the view any justice, but if you're ever in New York City or you live here now, you should definitely put an evening stroll - or bike ride - in Central Park on your list of things to do.

No comments: