Saturday, May 1, 2010

Century Training - Week 7, Day 6

Week: 7
Day: 6
Ride: Pace
Route: Combination of hills, flats and city traffic
Scheduled Mileage: 59
Actual Mileage: 60.39
Average Speed: 14.8 mph
Max Speed: 30.9 mph
*Includes city street speed average

Average BPM: 159
Max BPM: 189
Calories: 2077

Random Notes to Self:
  • Helen was right; long-sleeve cycling jerseys are pointless. I'm going to forgo the purchase of long-sleeve jerseys and stick to short-sleeve and sleeveless base layers and jerseys. And I'll add some arm and knee warmers that I can shed and conveniently stow in back pockets.
  • And while I was thinking about attire, Helen was right about something else. Yellow is better for rain gear. I should have purchased a yellow rain jacket instead of a black one, but that's largely what happens when you shop for clothes in New York City. Your instincts follow black.
It was an incredible morning for a bike ride. I was in full cycling regalia and on my bicycle before nine o'clock. There were no headwinds in any direction. The leaves on trees were barely rustled by light summer-like breezes. But after three laps in Central Park, the cyclists were driven out by the 13th Annual EIF Revlon Run/Walk For Women. There has to be a way that we can all coexist peacefully, I thought out loud. An adjacent cyclist smiled at me, "Not today."

Another cyclist lamented in frustration as we exited the park at the graveyard of Tavern on the Green, "I give up! They win!"

I cross the Upper West Side and followed the cycling lanes along the Hudson River for a few hours and then returned to the park when I assumed the walk/run would nearly be over. Today - despite my lack of weeknight rides due to work and weather - was the first day that I felt confident about my upcoming transcontinental tour. I rode 60 miles today, felt good the whole way, and I think I'm going to be ok!

No comments: